Tips on How to Write a Good History Essay
All types of essays basically require same fundamental skills, but they differ in some of the techniques used to make them effective. One type of essay that requires simple but precise techniques is the history essay.
What are the steps on how to write a good history essay? Here are some tips and techniques you can use to write one yourself:
1. Remember to Assess, then Answer the Question
Take a clear stand on the subject you chose. Focus on what your stand has to answer regarding your chosen subject. Just remember that although there might be no wrong answers, you must justify based on credible evidence and logical reasoning.
2. Read Relevant Materials
Read materials that can greatly help and serve as a guide for you throughout your writing process. Upon getting the fundamental ideas for your topic, narrow down your readings to topics that are highly related to the question you plan to answer.
3. Constructing your Essay
Remember that your first paragraph is the most critical part. It will determine if the readers will continue to read your essay or not. Keep in mind the following tips:
- Make your first sentence as interesting as possible.
- Show that you clearly know what you are talking about.
- Define important terms that you will use throughout the essay.
- It would be effective to answer the question of your essay in parts to make it more manageable and see to it that the information does not overlap.
- Do not make a paragraph too long that it would bore the readers.
- Start with general statements before going to specifics.
- Present essential evidences and supporting materials throughout the paragraphs between the first and the last.
- Finish your essay with a strong statement to express your stand firmly on the historical issue you chose to discuss.
- Relate it to contemporary issues to make your paper stronger and effective.
4. Review and Revise
Make sure that you have conveyed what you want to your readers. Also, review your paper for any grammatical and factual errors.
Writing effective essays is a skill that you cannot develop overnight. A good essay is a product of continuous construction of ideas, assessments, and revisions. It takes hard work, dedication and interest to produce a piece that others will consider as useful or helpful.
Barbara Kalvelage is a best Professor in the Biology department at University of Southern Indiana, Evansville, IN. Her lecture guides are very helpful for the tests. Barbara was and is so dedicated and uses many props and awesome raps/poems to help you learn. In her free time she enjoys doing essay writing.